Reports from Swaziland

Just another weblog

Are you the Human or the Virus?

by on June 15, 2011
Filed under: Uncategorized

On Saturday, we had the opportunity to go to RFM (the government hospital in Manzini) once again. Only this time, we were not there to observe the clinic or the hospital but rather to attend Teen Club, the support group here for HIV positive teens. This week’s lesson was about the mechanisms behind HIV in the body.

The kids arrived at the hospital around 9am and started playing games. At first, it was a bit of trial and error on my part, trying to figure out how each game was played. When I did finally catch on, I was on the lookout for those who are out but continue playing, which incidentally is not a good way to make friends. The kids I would call out would then line up in front of me, waiting for me to make an error. It was really enjoyable – in fact, I even got to teach the kids the action song, “Father Abraham!” It was wonderful to see the teens all so excited and willing to try anything, something not likely to happen with American teenagers.

After the opening session, the teens were broken into age groups: 10-12, 13-14, and 15+. I was with the 15-18 year olds but did not realize it at the time. Most of the kids looked to be anywhere from 8-10 years of age, as their growth had been stunted by HIV. We played a game called HIV Attacks which demonstrated how HIV infects the human body.

Most of the kids were in a circle around three others – one was the human immune system, one was HIV, and one was an ARV. We (the ones around the outside) had a ball which represented opportunistic infection which we threw at the little boy in the center who was the human. Generally, he would be able to dodge the ball easily. However, when HIV was present, she would immobilize him so he could no longer evade the opportunistic infection. But then, the new kid on the block, ARVs, would contain HIV, thus freeing up the immune system to once again avoid sickness!

Throughout the game, the kids answered questions about HIV and immunity. There were many kids who new exactly what HIV was, but there were some new teens. It was good to see them start participating by the end of Teen Club.

One thing I simply could not get over was the ease with which I could get smiles from the kids. Even though they were on daily medications and lived with a lethal virus in their bodies, these kids were so happy, hardworking, and friendly. It was something I hope I never forget.

Below is an image from Teen Club in Mbabane:

Powered by WordPress