Reports from Swaziland

Just another weblog

Life Is Good

by on June 11, 2009
Filed under: Uncategorized

I tend to get sick only when I’m surrounded by the world’s best doctors. I’ll count myself blessed. I wish I had a more exciting account to give of this weekend. Unfortunately, Yiwen and I spent the weekend at the hospital—me in the hospital bed, Yiwen relentlessly and kindly taking care of my every need. Have you ever thrown up for twelve hours straight? By 7:30am, I decided to get some help. Luckily, my cell phone was pre-set with fifteen of the world’s best doctors. Michelle took me to the hospital straight away, where they gave me two bags of IV fluid, a few shots of goodness knows what—I’ll call it make-this-vomiting-stop-ycycline—and two pain killers that removed the jackhammer from my skull.

Don’t worry, the hospital was very sanitary and safe. Several of the PAC doctors have even had babies there. At that point I didn’t really care. I was sure I was on my death bed, hallucinations and everything. Michelle marched me right into the hospital and began to write down exactly what she wanted the doctor to give me in list format with the correct dosages next to each medication. She is a wonderful doctor. Whatever it was (not malaria or typhoid) went as fast as it came. After a few hours at the hospital, and 3L of Energade, I was already 90% better. Michelle deciphered the lab report for me, and decided that I had some sort of bacterial gastroenteritis. I was comforted by the receptionist who told us of four other admissions to the hospital that morning with symptoms identical to mine. It was nothing to be worried about—probably just a bacterial infection that I had no resistance to.

As the saying goes, health is often not valued until sickness comes. Right now, I am thankful to be eating, running, working, and spending the evening playing “Actionary” with friends.

Life Is Good.

Powered by WordPress